AC or DC Test Power Re-imagined
The AFX Series is a family of high power, single, split and three phase, AC, DC and AC+DC output capable Power Sources. Available models range from 6 kVA to 90 kVA with available configurations to 150kVA. Using a modern user interface for ease of use, the AFX Series is cost effective and fully programmable for both basic frequency conversion and advanced AC power line or DC power disturbance test applications.
Newly available A Version offers extended voltage and frequency ranges and new analog and digital I/O functions.
The AFX Series consists of a range of High Power Switching AC, DC and AC+DC capable Power Sources covering a power range from 6 kVA to 180 kVA (1). All AFX models offer single, split and three phase output configurations. The AFX is a state-of-the-art design using the latest digital power conversion technologies. Power density is among the highest in the industry allowing 15 kVA/kW of power in only 4U (7″) of rack space.
Great emphasis has been placed on energy efficiency, ease of installation, and maximum power per cubic inch of rack space. Control and operational features provide a high degree of application versatility and ease of use for the test engineer. Applications range from simple, manually controlled frequency conversion to harmonic immunity testing and sophisticated transient simulation.
Power conversion within the AFX Series is achieved by digitally controlled, high frequency pulse width modulation, resulting in cool, quiet and efficient operation. Some AFX models can be upgraded by customer service to provide higher power output using our POWER FLEX upgrade program.
The new for 2018 A versions of the AFX now include standard analog and digital I/O functions, scope function for voltage and current waveform capture, programmable output impedance and harmonic analysis measurements. Frequency range has been expanded to cover 1Hz through 3000Hz (with some power and voltage restrictions) and extended output voltage range to 333VLN / 576VLL.
|Model||Rated Power (VA)||Output Form||Output Volts-Max (Vac/Vdc¹)||Output Amps/Phs (Aac/Adc²)||Input Power Form (3)||Height (U) (4)||Weight (Lbs./KG)|
|Bench or Rack Mount Models|
|360AFX||6000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||16.7 / 8.3||3Ø||4||112/51|
|390AFX||9000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||25.0 / 12.6||3Ø||4||112/51|
|3120AFX||12000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||33.3 / 16.7||3Ø||4||112/51|
|3150AFX||15000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||41.7 / 21.0||3Ø||4||112/51|
|3180AFX||18000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||50.0 / 25.0||3Ø||15||320/146|
|3240AFX||24000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||66.7 / 33.4||3Ø||15||320/146|
|3300AFX||30000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||83.3 / 41.7||3Ø||15||320/146|
|3450AFX||45000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||125.0 / 62.5||3Ø||15||435/197|
|3600AFX||60000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||166.7 / 83.3||3Ø||28||550/249|
|3750AFX||75000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||208.3 / 104.1||3Ø||28||665/302|
|3900AFX||90000||1,2,3 Ø||333 (L-N) / 425||250.0 / 125.0||3Ø||28||780/354|
- All AFX models have a single voltage range with constant power profile. This eliminates the need for switching between a high and a low voltage range. If desired, a low voltage range can be simulated.
- Maximum current ratings shown are available up to 120Vrms in AC mode and 238Vdc in DC mode. Voltage and Current follow constant power profile so higher current at lower voltage and lower current at higher voltage is available.
- Three phase input: -2 Models: 208 to 240 VAC ±10% input range. -4 Models: 380 to 480 VAC ± 10% input range. All models has active power factor corrected AC inputs. Cabinet systems above 60kVA require 400/480Vac Input service. For 208Vac input requirements (-2 versions), contact factory.
- Cabinet weights are approximate and vary with certain available cabinet configuration options.
- Models 360AFX, 390AFX and 3120AFX can be upgraded to higher power levels using Pacific’s AFX POWER FLEX upgrade program. Cabinet models 3180AFX and 3240AFX can also by upgraded to higher power levels. Contact customer service for details.
Key Features Provide Application Versatility
- AC Output, DC Output, AC+DC Output
- DC, 15 to 1,200 Hz Frequency Range full power, 1 to 3000Hz Frequency Range extension
- Single, Constant Power mode 333V L-N/576V L-L/425Vdc voltage range offers wider operating range
- Precision True-RMS metering of Volts, Amps, Power, VA, Power Factor and Crest Factor
- Waveform capture scope function for voltage and current on all phases
- Harmonic measurement for voltage and current on all phases
- Extensive Analog and Digital I/O for ATE and system integration
- Available PPSC Manager Windows graphical user interface
- Also compatible with legacy UPC Studio graphical user interface
- 1, 2 or 3 Phase Switch Selectable Output from front panel or bus command
- Sine, Square, Triangle, THD and Arbitrary waveforms
- Available in 208-240V or 380-480V 3 Phase AC input with Active PFC
- 200 stored programs for both static and dynamic Transient Testing
- LIST, PULSE and STEP Mode Transients
- Continuous Self Calibration (CSC)
- Precision Voltage Programming – 0.02% with CSC engaged in AC and DC modes
- Standard Models in Power Levels from 6 kVA to 150 kVA. Contact us for higher power.
- Standard RS-232, USB, GPIB and Ethernet Interface with SCPI compatibility
- LXI Compliant LAN/Ethernet with embedded web server
- IVI Instruments drivers
- CE (EMC/Safety) and Nemko (Safety) Marks
- POWER FLEX upgrade program allows units to be retrofitted for higher power output
Design Provides Total Control of AC and DC Power
- All AFX Series power source models are equipped with a digitally Programmable Controller.
- Total control of the output power mode, phase mode (form) is available from the front panel or the bus.
- All operating functions may be controlled from either the front panel or from a remote RS-232, US, LAN or GPIB interface.
- IVI Compliant Instrument Drivers are available.
Special AFX Series Operating Features
Continuous Self Calibration
Provides for exceptional accuracy of the AC or DC output Voltage. When enabled, accuracy improves to ±0.02% referenced to the power source internal voltmeter.
Single Voltage Range with Constant Power Operation
More output current available at lower voltage setting without having to change range.
Up to 200 different waveforms can be stored in the waveform library for execution as part of a steady state program or for substitution in any output phase as part of a transient test program. Memory location #1 is a non-editable high resolution sine wave. Locations 2-127 are editable and can be substituted in any output phase. An unlimited number of waveforms may be stored on the computer using the available PPSC Manager Windows software.
Time Based Transients
Create and execute transients that occur over a specified time segment to modify the output waveform, voltage, and frequency for any or all phases. An output trigger is provided for synchronizing external test equipment to the actual transient event.
Cycle Based Transients
Create and execute transients that substitute a waveform in any or all phases for 1 to 100 cycles. The waveform being substituted can be selected and/or modified from the waveform library.
AC or DC Test Power
The AFX Series Power Source is equipped with several powerful Digital Signal Processors to create a fully integrated test system. It supplies a variety of power conditions to the device under test and meters all output performance parameters.
AC+DC Test Power
Special test requirements such the application of a DC offset on an AC line or AC ripple on a DC supply output are supported by selecting the AC+DC Mode of operation.
The AFX Series is an excellent source of stable AC voltage over the frequency range of 1 to 3,000 Hz. The output frequency is accurate to 0.01%.
With the ability to provide singe, split and three-phase outputs, the AFX Series is the perfect choice to provide 1 Phase to 2 or 3 Phase or 3 Phase to 1 Phase conversion.
The AFX Series controller offers both manual and full programmable control. Front panel operation is menu driven using a combination of direct access menu keys to the left of the large color display and 5 soft keys located on the right of the display. The rotary knob can be used to scroll through menu fields and doubles as an ENTER key. The same knob allows for slewing of output parameters. A full decimal keypad is provided as well for direct parameter entry. The AFX can also be operated remotely from one of its included remote interfaces. Operation from a web browser via LAN or USB is also supported through the embedded web server of the AFX.
Protective Transit Cases for Mobile Applications
Pacific Power Source offers rugged transit cases to protect your AC Source from adverse environmental conditions for mobile and/or military applications.
- Environmental Protection (shock, vibration, moisture, heat),
- Unrestricted Equipment Operation,
- Quick Cover Removal & Installation,
- Integrated wheels and Handles,
- Stainless Steel Latches.
Available for following AFX models:
- 5U: 360AFX, 390AFX, 3120AFX, 3150AFX
Power Source Specifications
DC, 15 to 1,200 Hz. Full Power
1 to 3,000 Hz with some restrictions
AC, DC, AC+DC, DC+AC
Phase Output Modes:
Single (1), Split (2) and Three Phase (3)
AC Voltage Range:
0 – 300 Vrms L-N / 0-520 Vrms L-L Constant Power Mode
(0-333 Vrms L-N / 0 – 576 Vrms L-L AC output available up to 9kVA per unit, 45-100Hz)
DC Voltage Range:
0 – 425 Vdc Constant Power Mode
All AFX models are designed for operation in 19 inch equipment racks. Models above 15 kVA require parallel operating of one AFX Master unit and one or more auxiliary no-controller (NC) units. Models 3180AFX through 31500AFX are available as cabinet systems with all internal input and output wiring, terminal blocks and parallel connections included.
Standard 19 inch rack. Slide rails are available as an option for all AFX units.
See model table above for panel or cabinet height.
Approximately 25 inch, from the front panel to the rear of the chassis.
Front forced air intake with rear exhaust. Automatic Fan Speed Control for low acoustic noise and extended fan life. The available energy saving sleep modes of the AFX result in low power consumption during idle periods and extend the life of the product.
Expanding the AC Power Source into an Automated Test System
Pacific’s line of Smartsource® AC Power Sources enable engineers to easily automate their testing by using industry standard software development environments. The AFX series offers standard Ethernet/LAN connectivity, a browser interface, LXI compliance (LAN extensions for Instruments) to ensure inter operability with other LXI instruments and IVI (Interchangeable Virtual Instrument) driver to speed up ATE test program development.